Monday, March 21, 2011

First time out with the Black Mamba....

Well I rushed home and grabbed my reel, and field bag and headed to the field. Once I got there I set everything up and the first thing I noticed was the rod is really LIGHT, and the rod has that Nice Century style shrink wrap on the bottom part of the rod, NICE... The reel used was a Shimano Spin Power (15lb Sufix Braid,and 65lb braid cast leader) which was not the best set up for the rod. The Reel was fine, but I would have used a 40lb cast leader instead of the 65lb leader I use for 3-5nbait setups. I think the leader was too heavy for the 2-3oz sinker..... I test casted the rod three times and really noicted this rod loaded differently than any rod I've owned. First impression was the rod loads\unloads like a bullwhip, and seemed fragile. I wasn't please with the first couple of cast and decided to really put some A$$ into the cast. The 2oz did some decent numbers, but I felt the 3oz was the ticket.. Now that I kinda know how the rod casts I would like to spend another 1-2 hours out on the field fine tuning my cast with this rod...
Ok here we go: Best out of 3
2oz Unitech= 300ft
2oz OTG= 300ft
3oz Unitech= 345ft
3oz OTG= 375ft
I think with the same set up and a 40lb cast leader and some time on the field Im sure I could get a 3oz sinker 450ft, and will prove it this weekend.. So far Im liking this rod, and would love to see this rod in action. The rod is NOT FRAGILE, and likes it when you show her who's boss!! LOL Im getting excited thinking about hooking up with a Spring Rockfish, or a 18 inch Croaker from 100 yards out with this rod.. Fun Fun Fun..... I will be on the water with this rod this weekend....
Pix:





No comments:

Post a Comment